Air Traffic Management System Engineer - Subject to Contract Award
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009, are preparing to launch the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2016. We deliver Facility Management services to both Cleveland Clinic and Healthpoint Hospitals in Abu Dhabi, large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia and a range of educational and commercial properties in the UAE. We also deliver postgraduate education to Officers in the Qatar Armed Forces through the Joaan Bin Jassim Joint Command and Staff College in Doha.
Focussing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.
The main purpose of the role is to Research, plan and engineer systems for ATM, translating operational demands into system architecture and operational systems. This includes ATM representations within projects as a communication channel when interacting with CNS and system suppliers. The ATM system engineers shall work as part of mixed ATC operational and engineering team in the ATM domain. The engineers shall have a profile that extends over all phases and activities of the project.
The role takes into account Project Management, Human Factors, Safety Assurance, Quality Assurance and the planning and management of Pre-Implementation, Installation and Transition phases of projects.
Structure & Reporting Relationship
The job holder maintains contact with DP Adaptation, CNS Specialists and Research and Dataset Officers when introducing new concepts or technology on behalf of the Customer. These interfaces requires the jobholder to communicate from specialists to Operational Managers ensuring compliance to established integration, test & validation methodologies and/or regulatory guidelines.
Externally, entities include aviation stakeholders, contractors, suppliers and adjacent ANSP’s technical teams. The role ensures coordination related to integration, test and validation of their systems to those under the ANSP responsibility or any new/enhanced systems under procurement.
The jobholder reports and signs off all work within his section as per well-established procedures.
ATM Requirement Engineering
* Translate ATM User Requirements into consistent and coherent sets of requirements
* Implement requirements tracing and validation
* Support validation of requirements
* Ensure that all data processing aspects of ATM systems are captured for the purpose of inputs for systems design
* Conduct tests of prototypes at developer’s facility as well as on site to ensure that the newly developed software takes into account all flight data aspects.
* Ensure implementation of new systems on site as well as remote sites.
Planning and Pre-Implementation
* Generate and contribute to feasibility studies
* Assess international ATM standards and recommendations to feed innovation projects
* Support market survey and product evaluation reports
* Prepare software upgrade plans and impact statements for approval by Management for ATM system components at the unit and relevant airports.
* Recommend and upon approval carry out software upgrade/modification.
* Prepare Management of Change (MoC) documentation for approval by Management.
* Participate in the Safety Assessment and hazard risk identification of software upgrade /modification or configuration change.
* Prepare presentation
* Prepare PowerPoint presentations with technical aspects for ANS Management to present in various conferences, meetings, etc.
Undertake special tasks as and when assigned by the management
Qualifications and Education:
* The candidate shall have as a minimum, either a Bachelor Degree or a Higher Diploma in Electronic Engineering from a reputable institution.
* Within the formal education, strong emphasis on System Engineering within the ATM (Air Traffic Management) environment is required.
* Formal training related to Software Development, ATM Interface Protocols, and adaptation required.
* A project Management qualification would be advantageous
* Minimum 10 years’ experience in the CNS/ATM environment
* Minimum of 5 years of testing and implementing ATS equipment into operational service
* Demonstrated experience in design reviews, Factory Acceptance Testing and Site Acceptance Testing of ATS equipment
* Demonstrated experience of Safety and Quality assurance
* Demonstrated experience and understanding of Human Factors
* Demonstrated experience of project management within an ATM environment
* Two of the four recognised ATSEP Qualification groups of Communications, Surveillance, Navigation and Data processing or system control would be advantageous
* Formal training from ICAO, INCOSE, IATA and advantage
* Project Management qualification or training would be an advantage
* Member of and engineering professional body would be advantageous IEng / CEng
* Member of a project Management Professional body would be advantageous
* Knowledge of relevant national, and international recommendations and standards
* Knowledge of a wide range of ATS equipment
* Knowledge of test environments and interpretation of ICD’s
* Knowledge of project management processes and methodology
* Knowledge of ICAO ASBU and implementation an advantage
* Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
Serco is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities and is committed to ensuring the safety of all of its employees through its Zero Harm initiative. Please visit www.serco.com/careers for more information.