Head of Operational Training - Area
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009, are preparing to launch the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2016. We deliver Facility Management services to both Cleveland Clinic and Healthpoint Hospitals in Abu Dhabi, large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia and a range of educational and commercial properties in the UAE. We also deliver postgraduate education to Officers in the Qatar Armed Forces through the Joaan Bin Jassim Joint Command and Staff College in Doha.
Focussing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.
The Head of Operational Training, ACC is responsible for the implementation of operational training within the Baghdad Area Control Centre ACC specialty. The post reports to the DYSIM Manager but also interfaces very closely with the Operations Mentor, the Academy Training Mentor, Iraq Civil Aviation Authority and other ICAA Managers
Structure and reporting relationship
Reporting to the DYSIM Manager
Based on the specific requirement of the role
* Tasks designated to the position include the following:
* Assist in the development and implementation of training procedures to ensure that the provision of ATS is fully compliant with National and International standards and recommended practices.
* Assist in monitoring the operational standards and status of all ACC ATCOs and OJTI’s, and ensure that all relevant training and competency checks are completed as required.
* Recommend improvements to the Unit Training Plan (UTP) and other relevant training documents.
* Implement remedial actions as a result of recommendations from incident investigations.
* Schedule, direct and supervise ACC operational training.
* Supervise and conduct simulator, classroom and self-study training for the ACCspecialty.
* Ensure that best practice training standards, rules and procedures are agreed and implemented.
* Ensure that full consideration is given to the integrity of changes in the training structure.
* Ensure that in the post incident phase of any aviation related incident the necessary and or recommended training processes are followed and documented upon completion.
* Develop, maintain and implement simulator training to meet both operational and student training requirements for ACC. Assist in the use of the simulator for any incident replays or procedure developments and evaluations.
* Monitor and maintain ACC records and all related training documents.
* Assist the DYSIM Manager with provision of monthly training reports.
* Provide support and advice to the DYSIM Manager as well as the ICAA Training Manager on training issues.
* Stand in for the Head of Operational Training, Approach for leave relief.
* Maintain currency on Area surveillance and procedural control.
* Interfaces with and required to influence OJTIs and ATSIs in order to deliver the highest standard of air traffic services training.
* Must have held a Certificate of Competence in Area Control within the BACC to assume the duties of this position.
Essential technical and professional skills, knowledge and qualifications
* Comprehensive knowledge of relevant ICAO documentation, in particular Annex 2, Annex 11,
* And Doc 4444.
* Comprehensive knowledge of ATC procedures, standards maintenance, OJT training
* Good Knowledge of classroom and simulator training procedures and processes.
* Ability to run a classroom environment successfully.
* Ability to prepare reports when required.
* Ability to maintain a simulator training program.
* Able to schedule, direct and supervise operational training.
* Ability to monitor deadlines and performance in-line with required standards.
* A proactive and responsible approach to work with initiative and problem solving capability.
* Ability to understand complex systems and possess good IT skills.
* Flexibility, excellent attention to detail, ability to identify key issues and manage an environment of regular change.
* Able to hold sensitive and confidential materials in strict confidence.
* Able to work independently under stringent deadlines and in a high pressure environment.
* Function as a resourceful and proactive team member.
* Strong organisational skills with attention to detail and the ability to prioritise, multi-task and meet tight deadlines and schedules.
* Strong analytical skills; ability to work with complex issues and detailed information.
* Ability to collaborate effectively with cross functional teams.
* Good judgment and decision-making skills.
* Adapt well to changing priorities.
* Intuitive with outstanding interpersonal influencing and communication skills; able to develop and motivate others.
* Ability to see problems as opportunities and to manage well under pressure.
* Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally and convey complex information in an easily understood format.
* In-depth ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
* ATC operational experience in an area, approach or aerodrome environment.
* Experience instructing in a classroom environment.
* Experience in the implementation / development and maintenance of an ATCO training program an asset.
* Conversant with the requirements of all current relevant legislation.
* Experience in a multi-cultural environment an asset.
* Middle East experiences an asset.
* Simulator experience including building and maintaining exercises
Additional / special features of the role
HSQE Responsibilities and Information Security Responsibilities
* To exercise personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by acts or omissions;
* Promote a good HSQE and Information Security culture among peers, subcontractors and third parties;
* Lead by example and look at ways to conserve energy, water and resources and minimise the generation of waste through personal performance and raise recommendations on how to improve existing processes in this regard within/outside their departments through their Line Manager, Departmental Safety Meetings and any other appropriate available channels;
* Protect information assets and data including both electronic and paper based from all threats whether internal, external, deliberate or accidental;
* Promote a good HSQE and Information Security culture among their peers, subcontractors and third partiesin a privileged position of being able
* To fully deliver against their own 2016 Safety Commitments.
* To arrive for the start of their duties fit and well and to end their duties no less so.
* To actively demonstrate exemplary personal safety leadership behaviours at all times.
* Ensure compliance with the Serco Management System and all relevant business processes, procedures and work instructions to deliver all work with appropriate quality and governance standards
* Ensure security and integrity of all data provided including reporting performance, finance and customer information; reference Serco non-disclosure policy
* To exercise personal duty of care for their own health, safety and welfare and for those affected by their acts or omissions; reference SMS GSOP-HSE1-6 Serco organisational HSE responsibilities
* Ensure compliance with all training requirements of Serco and ensure adherence to these requirements at all times whilst in employment
* Report any accidents, incidents, breaches or potential breaches to appropriate management or the speak up process
Serco is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities and is committed to ensuring the safety of all of its employees through its Zero Harm initiative. Please visit www.serco.com/careers for more information.