Head of Safety Assurance - IFS - Flightglobal
Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Serco customers are looking for expertise in managing their people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise economic decision makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver quality services directly to the public.
Serco supplies to governments, government enterprise, agencies and companies who seek a trusted outsourcing partner with a solid track-record of service excellence. Serco people offer operational, logistical and technical expertise in the Transport, Justice and Immigration, Defence, Education and Healthcare industries as well as in the commercial sectors of Facilities Management.
Serco Middle East have been in the Region since 1947, starting out delivering Air Traffic Control Services in Bahrain; a service we are proudly still running today and have expanded to include many other Airports in the region.
We have expanded significantly since that time across the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. We have been supporting the RTA to operate the Dubai Metro since 2009, are preparing to launch the flagship Saudi Arabia Passenger Rail service from Riyadh to Qassim in 2016. We deliver Facility Management services to both Cleveland Clinic and Healthpoint Hospitals in Abu Dhabi, large-scale medical facilities in Saudi Arabia and a range of educational and commercial properties in the UAE. We also deliver postgraduate education to Officers in the Qatar Armed Forces through the Joaan Bin Jassim Joint Command and Staff College in Doha.
Focussing on our core values, and creating a positive environment for employees to thrive, we look forward to a bright future as we continue to grow with the region.
* To provide leadership within the HIFM Sector in the fields associated with Safety and Assurance through an active role in the sector management team, coordinated with the central Divisional team.
* Throughout this document the term Assurance covers Health, Safety & Environment, Risk Management, Quality Management, and Business Resilience and Business Ethics.
Reason for role
* To ensure compliance with all Serco Group and Divisional Standard Operating procedures for Safety and Assurance across the HIFM Sector and Central Management, ensuring compliance with the Serco Management System.
* To design, develop and deliver the necessary Safety and Assurance processes and procedures required by the Sector to compliment the Divisional management systems and to ensure * compliance with the contractual requirements of the HIFM Sector contracts.
* Support to the Bidding and Transition activities of the Sector.
* Create a positive Safety and Assurance culture and deliver necessary training and awareness to the Sector management team and contract staff.
* To report to the HIFM and Divisional management on the performance of the business unit against these requirements through corporate performance metrics and KPIs.
Structure and reporting relationship
* The Head of Safety and Assurance role will functionally report to the Divisional Assurance Director.
* Divisional Safety and Assurance roles are assigned responsibility for a SME Sector/s and will be expected to form an effective working relationship with those Sectors key personnel, becoming part of the Sectors management team.
* The role is expected to functional lead a team of 9 HSQE managers who operate within individual contracts but require leadership and guidance from the Head of Safety and Assurance
* To ensure that the Sector is aware of, share, and continue to comply with legislative and regulatory requirements and best practice.
* To ensure an effective Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental management system is in place for the Sector which meets the requirements of the Serco Management System and other requirements to which the Sector subscribes (ISO/ OHSAS/ Regulatory) including maintenance of the ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certificates and any other certificates or accreditations as required
* To contribute to the development of the Divisional Safety and Assurance objectives and action plans and ensure understanding and delivery of these across the Sector. Report on progress regularly to the Sector management and Divisional Health and Safety committee.
* To ensure a Sector Risk Register is developed, based on the Sector business plan, is regularly reviewed and updated with adequate control and mitigation measures in place to manage the risks.
* To ensure adequate emergency response, crisis management and business continuity plans are in place across the Sector, maintained and regularly tested.
* To ensure compliance reviews are planned, based on the Sectors risk profile, executed and reported on in a timely manner. This will include the coordination of reviews with both internal and external resource.
* To monitor all actions arising from incidents, audit reports, compliance reviews and inspections and ensure that common themes are brought to the attention of Sector management. Ensure that lessons learnt are shared across the Sector and to Division.
* To contribute to any bidding activity relating to that Sector to ensure that Safety and Assurance risks and issues have been appropriately identified and mitigations are included in the proposal which meet legislative and regulatory requirements and best practice.
* To report against the Divisional Safety and Assurance performance metrics and KPIs on a regular basis. This includes contributing to the OFR process as well as the Health and Safety committee.
* To advise the Sector Management Team on Assurance related requirements and issues and possible responses and controls to address these.
* To provide help and assistance to any SME contracts as required within the scope of the individuals competency and experience.
* The NEBOSH Occupational Health and Safety Diploma or equivalent qualification
* The ISO Internal Auditors qualification or equivalent
* Essential technical and professional skills and knowledge
* Knowledge of all the relevant disciplines and technologies associated with Serco Middle East sectors.
* Knowledge of British Health & Safety and environmental legislation and practice and its application in high risk industries.
* An understanding of the risks associated with the operation of a contract in a high risk industry and the mitigations available to minimise those risks.
* Effective communicator and negotiator who is able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
* Ability to communicate with and influence senior management and employees.
Good analysis skills.
* Essential experiences
* Experience in an Facilities Management environment with at least 5 years recent experience, specifically;
* An understanding of Planned Preventive Maintenance regimes
* An understanding of safe cleaning processes
Serco is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities and is committed to ensuring the safety of all of its employees through its Zero Harm initiative. Please visit www.serco.com/careers for more information.